While the other cities in Massachusetts have been hogging the limelight until now, its’ time to start talking about Springfield instead. Springfield is an attractive city and known for its rich history, its nearly endless greenery, its stunning architecture, its scenic views, and its innovations like the most popular sports in the World- Basketball was invented here. It is worth visiting! So if you’re on board, here are a few facts to make your trip to Springfield, MA fun, informative and interesting!
Image By bcjordan (Basketball in the Sky Uploaded by Bcjordan) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
Springfield Geographic and Demographic Fast Facts
- Springfield is located in Western New England.
- It is the county seat of Hampden County, MA.
- It lies in Massachusetts, close to the Connecticut Border.
- It settles on the east bank of the Connecticut River Valley near its junction with 3 rivers- the Mill River (eastern), the Westfield River (western) and the Chicopee River (eastern)
- It is 1-hour drive from Worcester (southwest), Massachusetts.
- It is surrounded by rolling hills, bluffs and mountains.
- The population of Springfield, as of Census 2010, is 153,060.
- It is the largest city on the Connecticut River.
- It is the third largest city in the U.S. state of Massachusetts.
- It is the fourth largest city in New England.
- The City of Springfield is divided into 17 distinct neighborhoods- Bay, Boston Road, Brightwood, East Forest Park, East Springfield, Forest Park, Indian Orchard, Liberty Heights, The McKnight Historic District, Memorial Square, Metro Center, North End, Old Hill, Pine Point, Six Corners, Sixteen Acres, South End, Upper Hill.
- The ethnic composition of Springfield includes: White-51.8%, Black or African American-22.3%, Alaska Native and American Indian-0.6%, Asian-2.4%, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander-0.1%, from other race- 18.0%, and two or more races- 4.7%.
Springfield History Fast Facts
- Springfield was founded by William Pynchon, an English Puritan, in 1636.
- It was founded as Agawam Plantation under the control of the Connecticut Colony.
- In 1641, the town was renamed to Springfield (Essex County, England) that was the hometown of William Pynchon.
- Springfield thrived as a trading post and agricultural settlement until 1675.
- In 1675, during the King Philip’s War, it was burned to the ground.
- In 1777, the United States National Armory was established here by the US Revolutionary War Leaders- George Washington and Henry Knox.
- In 1794 the first American Musket and the popular Springfield rifle was made.
- In 1852, Springfield was officially incorporated as a city.
- Until 1968, the National Armory made several small weapons.
- In the 19th and 20th century, the city produced several innovations and nicknamed as “The City of Progress”.
- In 2011, it was nickname as “The City of Firsts”.
- From 2007 until 2010, the city grew economically.
- It has been a hub of ideological progress, and technological and commercial innovation throughout its history.
Springfield Government and Economy Fast Facts
- Springfield follows Mayor-Council City form of government.
- The top 5 industries in Springfield includes Trade and Transportation, Health Services and Education, Manufacturing, Tourism and Hospitality, and Government; in that order.
- It boasts a “Mature Economy”.
- It has one of the top up-and-coming multi-cultural markets in America.
- It includes many reputed universities and colleges of America. There are about 6 prestigious universities and colleges in Springfield.
- It is home to one “Fortune 500 Company” and the “Commonwealth of Massachusetts Fortune 100 Company”- MassMutual Life Insurance Company.
- It is ranked in the list of high-tech centers in the US.
- It is the economic hub of Western Massachusetts.
- Smith & Wesson, the largest producer of handguns in the world, calls Springfield its home.
- The third largest employer of Commonwealth of Massachusetts – Baystate Health also calls Springfield its home.
- It is home to a popular American-English dictionary- Merriam Webster.
- It is home to two nationally ranked hospitals- Shriners Hospital for Children and Mercy Medical.
- The second highest cluster of higher education institutions in the USA is in the Hartford-Springfield region, and hence it is called as the “Knowledge Corridor”. The region has more than 32 universities and liberal arts colleges.
- Companies with headquarters in Springfield, MA are: The American Hockey League, Big Y, Baystate Health, Breck Shampoo, Hampden Bank, Fenton’s Athletic Supplies, Mutual Life Insurance Company, Health New England, Merriam-Webster, NuVo Bank, Smith & Wesson, and Peter Pan Bus Lines.
Springfield Important and Interesting Fast Facts
And, several other Firsts!
- Springfield is nicknamed as “The City of Progress”, “The City of Firsts”, “Hoop City”, “ A City in the Forest”, and “The City of Homes”.
- The popular sports in the world- Basketball was invented in Springfield, MA. It was invented by James Naismith in 1891.
- The Club Quarter in Springfield is the hub of nightlife in the city and nightlife capital of the Knowledge Corridor and Pioneer Valley. It has about 60 dance clubs, music spots, bars, LGBT spot and after-hours venues.
- The most popular and largest amusement park- the Six Flags New England is just 2 miles away from Springfield.
- Springfield is ranked thirteen in the list of “New Gay American Cities” by The Advocate (2011).
- In 2004, gay marriages were legalized in Massachusetts, and since then there is been a considerable increase in the LGBT population in Springfield, MA.
- The city is the birthplace of Theodor Seuss Geisel, the very popular children’s author and illustrator.
- The popular sport here is Basketball.
- In 2010, it was ranked fourth in the list of “Top 10 Greenest Cities in the US”.
- “The Republican” is the local newspaper in Springfield.
- City of Firsts include-
- 1794- First Armory in the US by Henry Knox and George Washington
- 1795- First American Musket was produced in Springfield Armory
- 1806- First American-English Dictionary was invented “Merriam Webster”
- 1820- First usage of Interchangeable parts and assembly line mass production
- 1826- First American Modern Burning Steam Carriage
- 1830- American History Book
- 1844- Discovery of Vulcanized Rubber
- 1891- Invention of Basketball
- 1893- First Gasoline-powered car in America
- 1899- First public Swimming Pool in the US
- 1901- First Indian Motorcycle